The pandemic of coronavirus affected practically every industry of the world in one way or another. Lack of workers due to safety reasons, stressed out supply chains, and shortage of raw materials are few of them. Being the critical and essential industry, the food industry had to adapt to the changes and new guidelines. The incorporation of social distancing and contactless delivery masks and gloves were made compulsory.
But the question arises, what are the changes that will stay after the pandemic is over? And what are the things that will again shift back to its previous state?
Starting with the things that are likely to stay the same after this pandemic.
- The cocktails to go are likely to stay, as many restaurant owners and customers enjoy this facility and would like this service to be available after this pandemic.
- Similarly, the restaurant owners were forced to close their dining halls, they improvised and included more takeout options. This is something that is believed to stay after the pandemic is over.
- From dishes that were once considered dine-in only are now available for takeout and this is likely to stay here.
- Another thing that greatly benefits people is seafood delivery. We all have experienced pre-pandemic seafood shopping, the long lines at the seafood markets, but now the food suppliers have developed ways to ship the seafood to our homes and this service is very likely to stay the same in the post coronavirus world.
- In addition to that, COVID windows are likely to stay the same. In restaurants and food places, these windows are designed to give customers takeout food right from the drive-through. Basically, the food you couldn't get through the traditional drive-through window, you can now get through the COVID window.
- Restaurant-cum-grocery stores are another thing likely to be retained after the pandemic, they are highly utilitarian.
- Traditional menus might not be a popular choice given people are now used to digital menus and would rather order from their phone.
- Finally, the most important thing that will be part of the food industry is the standards of enhanced sanitation, whilst there will be no masks, there will be better and more robust standards of sanitation to be followed by the food industry.
Now coming to the things that won't be here after the pandemic are:
- The first thing is wearing the mask, it won't be a compulsory thing and hence won't be needed after the pandemic is over.
- The pandemic showed us how quickly a disease can spread in tight spaces, while we will not follow the social distancing, the extremely small spaces won't make the cut.
- Another thing that is limited to pandemic times is single-serve spices and condiments. They don't appear to be lasting forever.
All of these things required a change and the food manufacturers, processors and restaurant owners must effectively use their resources to implement these changes. Food ERP is the software they can use to implement these changes in their business more effectively for the long term.